Vim and Diagrams

Well I finally have taken the plung and am learning vim. It is actually pretty interesting and I’m sure as I learn how to type better I will be able to do more. Figuring out how to customize the interface so it is the way I like it took a while (doesn’t help that I’m on a windows box so things are a little different then what I am being told to do). Finished the tutorial that comes with the download… All in all I would say very helpful though I will be lucky to remember half of the commands by later today.

Hopefully I am done with my current projects diagrams. Did the Network, System’s, and Database diagrams. Don’t know if they actually want me to flowchart the logic or do a data flow but you never know. Since I pretty much have to do a rewrite I figured I should improve what I have. Am currently waiting for them to tell me if I can try using IntSmarty for the project since they want it to be in Japanese, Korean, and English. I think I would be better with it but I don’t think they will let me do it since they plan on selling it to other companies. Not everyone has Smarty or IntSmarty loaded onto their server. Guess I’ll have to learn how to use gettext. *sigh*

The current version of my program doesn’t support gettext and is written procedurally (don’t know OOP though I am learning it now) so there isn’t alot of reuse of code. Well at least a lot of the logic has been figured out… Hey I’m trying to make myself feel better. 🙂 We all muddle though some how.

Comments (8)

Aaron WormusAugust 27th, 2004 at 3:23 am

Not everyone has gettext compiled in either. You could very simply make an object oriented translation class.


$english = new mulitLingual::factory('english');
$english->translate('string');

There is actaully a good tutorial using the strategy pattern here, which does something like what you might be looking for.

ligAugust 27th, 2004 at 9:27 pm

Thanks Aaron for the link. I’ll take a look and possibly even talk about my lack of understanding :).